After downloading and installing Flash 8 today, I found myself in a serious crisis — Mike Chambers Flash Resource Manager has become an indispensable part of my daily workflow and I couldn’t access Flash 8 help through it. Knowing a busy Mike was unlikely to provide an update in a timely fashion (read today) , I did what any developer would do–I decided to “help myself”.
After quickly peering at the install folder I found an easy solution:
- Open the file app.config in Notepad or Wordpad (found along this path in Windows — C:\Program Files\Flash Resource Manager\config\app.config).
- Change the following 3 lines to reflect the paths created by your Flash 8 install:
- <flashhowtodirpath>C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\HelpPanel\HowDoI</FlashHowtoDirPath>
- <userhelpdirpath>C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\HelpPanel\Help\</userhelpdirpath>
- <flashhelpdirpath>C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash 8\en\Configuration\HelpPanel\Help\</flashhelpdirpath>
That’s it! You should now see the Flash Help docs in the tree view and continue to have tabbed help available to assist your coding endeavors.